The Town of Somers was incorporated in 1734 and named for Lord John Somers of England. In 1749 Somers separated from Massachusetts and was annexed to Connecticut. The Town of Somers is in Tolland County with a population of 11,444 as of the 2010 census. The town has a total area of 28.5 square miles.
Somers has always been an agricultural community with potato, tobacco and dairy farms. The Four-Town Fair was organized in 1838 as a contest to see which of the ten school districts had the most oxen. Industries have included grists and sawmills, and bonnet making. Somersville Manufacturing Company was the main industry in the Town of Somers until 1970.
Shenipsit State Forest has 7,078 acres of state forest in the towns of Ellington, Somers and Stafford. There are many recreation opportunities at Shenipsit State Forest. The two primary attractions are the wonderful hiking along the Blue-Blazed Shenipsit Trail which passes over Soapstone Mountain and the amazing views from the Soapstone Mountain observation tower.